2 Timothy 1:7 For God does not give us the spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind. When our Heavenly Father created us, he knew everything about us. He knew that there would be times when we would all walk in fear. However, this isn’t his will for us.
In my book You Go Girl, 25 Ways to Step into Your Greatness I dedicate an entire chapter to dealing with fear. When I think back over my life there have been numerous occasions when I felt fear and even succumbed to the fear. As I reflect on those times what I realize is that I was allowing my fear to dictate how I should live my life. This is not of God. He wants us to trust him and rely on him for all of our needs.
I remember the first time I spoke in front of an audience I was trembling. I went to the bathroom to pray and to gather my thoughts before I stood in front of the audience. Guess what I’m still alive. Truth be told I still get nervous when I speak in front of large groups. Just like I did years ago I find a quiet space to pray and collect my thoughts to shake off the fear.
The other thing I did to get over my fear of public speaking was to join Toastmasters for several years. Each time I would give a speech my friend fear would be with me. No matter how many contests I won fear still stood with me. However, it was through facing my fear and repeated practice that I was able to do public speaking all these years later. I’m so glad I did. Since then I’ve found my purpose and I know that I’ve been called to speak to women to heal from their pain, in order to live in their purpose. Now how could I serve my tribe if I was too afraid to speak up.
I don’t know what your fear is, or what has you feeling stuck but I want to encourage you to move forward despite the fear; to keep practicing, and to face it head on.
Tips to overcome fear
· Ask yourself what makes you afraid of it
· Has this fear prevented you from achieving something?
· Is the fear beneficial to you?
· What could you achieve if you let go of the fear?
After you’ve answered these questions if the fear is beneficial to you then I stand corrected. However, I’m willing to bet that your fear hasn’t proven helpful to you and in fact has hampered you in some way. What kind of life is that to live? One where you live daily paralyzed because of your fear. Don’t you want more out of life than that? You deserve better. Know that I want better for you.
Scriptures to help with fear
· Deuteronomy 31:8 He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
· 1 John 4:18 Perfect Love Casts Out All Fear
· Psalm 56:3 When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
· Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.